IRA Charitable Rollover
You may be looking for a way to continue supporting the organizations you love. If you are 70½ or older you may also be interested in a way to lower the income and taxes from your IRA withdrawals. An IRA charitable rollover is a way you can help your favorite nonprofit organizations and lower your income tax burden.
Benefits of an IRA charitable rollover
- Avoid taxes on transfers of up to $100,000 from your IRA to any endowment, scholarship or field of interest fund at the Community Foundation. Unfortunately, you cannot make an IRA charitable rollover gift to a donor advised fund during life. However, at your death, gifts from your IRA can be given to any fund at CFCG, including donor advised funds.
- May satisfy your required minimum distribution (RMD) for the year (Please note: through the CARES Act, Congress has waived the requirement for a RMD in 2020.)
- Reduce your taxable income, even if you do not itemize deductions
- Make a gift that is not subject to the deduction limits on charitable gifts
- Help further the work and mission of your favorite endowments or nonprofit organizations
How an IRA charitable rollover gift works
- Contact your IRA plan administrator to make a gift from your IRA to the Community Foundation.
- Your IRA funds will be directly transferred to CFCG (EIN #58-2053465). When you do so, please contact the Community Foundation at 478-750-9338 to let us know which fund you would like to support.
- Please note that IRA charitable rollover gifts do not qualify for a charitable deduction.
If you have any questions about an IRA charitable rollover gift, please consult your tax advisor and then contact us. We would be happy to assist you and answer any questions you might have.